Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Is a Fresh Alternative to Jarred! by Donna John
Jarred spaghetti sauce is fine, but if you have time, why not make your own healthier, homemade version? It's really easy!
- 3 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and pepper
- chopped garlic
- fresh basil leaves
- sugar (optional)
- olive oil
Here's how to make it:
- Put the tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle them with a little salt.
- Bring to a simmer and smash them with a potato masher.
- Cook on low heat, stirring often, until they reduce down and form a "paste," about 2 to 3 hours.
- Throw in some chopped garlic, fresh basil leaves and about 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, if needed. (This will depend on how sweet your tomatoes are and how you like your sauce.) Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the olive oil. I use a lot, probably around a 1/4 cup or so, but it's all to your taste.
Serve over your favorite pasta.