Best Pasta Sauce Recipe Ever: 4-Ingredient Spaghetti Sauce Recipe Starts With Fresh Tomatoes by Donna John
When you're in a hurry and need dinner fast, jarred spaghetti sauce is fine. I buy it all the time. But if you have time, and fresh tomatoes, why not make your own fresh, healthy, homemade pasta sauce?
This simple tomato sauce recipe has just four ingredients and is rich with tomato flavor. The fresh tomatoes cook down, low and slow, and turn into an intensely flavored sauce. Add garlic, basil and lots of olive oil and the taste is amazing. Try it and see.
Cuisine: Italian / American
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 to 3 hours
Total Time: 2 to 3 hours plus 10 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
Here's how to make it:
- Wash the tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Put the tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle them with a little salt.
- Bring to a simmer and smash them with a potato masher.
- Cook on low heat, stirring often, until they reduce down and form a "paste," about 2-3 hours. (Below is tomatoes after 1 hour of cooking.)
- Tomatoes after 2 hours.
- Tomatoes after 3 hours.
- Throw in some chopped or whole garlic, fresh basil leaves and about 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, if needed. (This will depend on how sweet your tomatoes are and how you like your sauce.) Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the olive oil. (I use a lot, probably around a 1/4 cup or so, but it's all to your taste.)
- Stir well to combine.
- Serve with your favorite pasta and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.