Layered Tuna Salad Recipe: A Festive Classic European Mimosa Salad Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Mimosa salad is a European layered tuna salad made with canned tuna fish, carrots, onion, potatoes, mayonnaise, hardboiled eggs and sometimes cheese and other ingredients. The variations on mimosa salad vary from family to family. It's said that the salad got its name because it resembles mimosa flowers when they're laying in the snow. Great story, right?
The first step in making this mimosa salad recipe is boiling the carrots and potatoes until just tender, but not mushy. Right at the end of cooking, an onion is added to soften so it can be chopped for the tuna salad. Boil the vegetables ahead of time so they have time to get cold in the refrigerator. The carrot and potato will be grated over the salad and the onion chopped and sprinkled over a layer.
A mixture of mayonnaise and olive oil is added to each layer. The tuna is mixed with a little mayonnaise and is one of the first layers in the salad, followed by egg whites, carrots, potatoes and egg yolks. You can get creative with the garnishes. Chopped tomato, fresh dill, chopped parsley and even caviar are common garnishes for this layered tuna salad.
The salad can be made in a casserole dish, trifle bowl or individual serving dishes. Instead of canned tuna, try using canned salmon for a change. Serve this tuna salad recipe for a light dinner, for lunch or as an appetizer or party dip.
Prep Time: 1 hour plus time to cool vegetables
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 onion
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (divided)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) tuna in oil, drained well
- 6 large hardboiled eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- chopped tomato, fresh dill, chopped parsley, green onions or caviar, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the potatoes and carrots into a pot of boiling water. Gently simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender, but not mushy. Add the onion during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain and let the vegetables cool then refrigerate until cold. When cold peel the potato. Finely chop the onion.
- To assemble the salad, combine the 1 cup of mayonnaise and the olive oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the tuna and remaining 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Season with salt and black pepper. Spread the mixture on the bottom of a 9x9-inch dish, round casserole dish or trifle bowl. Spread a thin layer of the mayonnaise over the tuna.
- Grate the egg whites over the top. Sprinkle with some sea salt, then spread another thin layer of the mayonnaise over the top.
- Grate the carrot over the top, sprinkle with a little sea salt and then spread a little mayonnaise over the top.
- Sprinkle with the boiled chopped onion and add another layer of mayonnaise.
- Grate the potatoes evenly over the salad. Season with salt and pepper. Spread a little more mayonnaise over the top and smooth with a spatula.
- Finely grate the egg yolk over the top. Garnish with desired garnishes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Graters $5 & Up
Trifle Bowls $10 & Up
Can Tuna in Oil $2 & Up
Mayonnaise $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.