Lean & Mean Flank Steak Beef Stew Recipe: A Simple Stew Recipe Worth Sharing by Donna John
Right now my go-to cookbook is Hello Taste, Goodbye Guilt! from the Mr. Food Test Kitchen. The cookbook contains more than 150 healthy and diabetic-friendly recipes – and so many are absolutely delicious. This lean and mean beef stew recipe is a shining example of that.
The easy beef stew recipe is made with flank steak instead of beef stew meat or a beef roast. The flank steak is browned in a soup pot and then seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Onions, carrots and celery are added along with reduced-sodium beef broth. The stew simmers for about 45 minutes before the potatoes are added. About 20 minutes later you have a rich, hearty beef stew ready for those soup bowls.
"Bulk up any stew or soup by adding lots of veggies to them. That means we can use less protein and never feel deprived," it states in the diabetic-friendly cookbook. You definitely will not feel deprived when eating this beef stew for dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 1 pound flank steak, well trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
Here's how to make it:
- In a bowl, combine the steak and flour. Toss to coat. Coat a nonstick soup pot with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the beef then sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until steak is browned.
- Add remaining ingredients except potatoes. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cover and simmer for about 20 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Photo: From the cookbook, Hello Taste, Goodbye Guilt! by Mr. Food Test Kitchen
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Mr. Food Test Kitchen's Hello Taste, Goodbye Guilt! Over 150 Healthy and Diabetes Friendly Recipes $17
Reduced-Sodium Beef Broth $2 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Onion Powder $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.