White Cheddar Parmesan Tuna Casserole Recipe With Penne, Peas & Corn by 30Seconds Food
This isn't your grandma's tuna casserole recipe! (Not that we don't love anything grandma cooks.) This updated tuna casserole is cheesy, creamy and loaded with different flavors and textures.
The secret to this delicious tuna casserole is the homemade cheese sauce. The sauce is made with butter, flour, garlic, milk, ground mustard, white cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Penne pasta, albacore tuna, peas and corn are mixed with this incredibly tasty cheese sauce before being poured into a casserole dish or ovenproof skillet. The top is sprinkled with more cheese and a little panko (the panko is optional). Bake until hot and melty and serve. So easy.
Keep in mind that the pasta will continue to cook in the oven, so only cook it to al dente. We don't want mushy pasta! If you don't have penne, you could use rigatoni, fusilli, bowties or any short pasta. You could also use other vegetables in this tuna casserole like broccoli florets, green beans or even carrots.
Serve this tuna casserole with a fresh garden salad and hot, crusty bread for a complete dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces penne (or your favorite short pasta), cooked to al dente according to package directions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) albacore tuna, well drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- panko breadcrumbs, for topping (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until smooth and slightly thickened. Add the ground mustard and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the 3/4 cup of the white cheddar and the Parmesan. Stir until melted.
- Add the pasta, tuna, peas and corn. Stir until combined. Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and sprinkle with panko, if using.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Penne Pasta $1 & Up
Albacore Tuna $2 & Up
Ground Mustard $3 & Up
Casserole Dishes $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.