Cannoli-Stuffed French Toast Recipe: A Non-Guilty Pleasure for Breakfast, Brunch or Dessert by Donna John
The new year's arrival made me go through all my cookbooks and pull out the ones with healthy recipes. One that I've been flipping through and marking recipes to make is Hello Taste, Goodbye Guilt! from the Mr. Food Test Kitchen. This cannoli-stuffed french toast recipe was the first one that caught my eye in the diabetic-friendly cookbook.
The french toast recipe is healthier and lower in fat and sugar because it's made with part-skim ricotta, fat-free cream cheese, Splenda, egg substitute and whole-grain bread. The sweet, creamy cannoli filling takes this breakfast or brunch recipe over the top. It's so decadent, you could serve it for dessert, too.
According to the cookbook, 100-percent whole-grain bread may help reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. This is a sweet way to incorporate the healthy ingredient into your diet.
Cuisine: American / Italian
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons part-skin ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons mini chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 teaspoons Splenda
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
Here's how to make it:
- Mix together the cream cheese, ricotta, chocolate chips, almond extract and Splenda. Evenly spread the mixture on two slices of the bread. Top with the remaining two slices of bread.
- In a shallow dish, stir together the egg substitute and water. Dip both sides of the "sandwich" into the egg mixture.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Cook the bread on both sides until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Photo: From the cookbook, Hello Taste, Goodbye Guilt! by Mr. Food Test Kitchen
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.