Easy Homemade Chinese Five Spice Powder Recipe (五香粉) by 30Seconds Food
Chinese five spice is exactly what it says: an Asian spice blend made up of five spices. (OK, it sometimes contains more than five.) The aromatic spice blend is a combination of cinnamon, fennel seed, star anise and cloves. The fifth spice is a wild card, and can be ginger, peppercorns or white pepper. This one uses Sichuan peppercorns.
Chinese five spice can be used in stir fries, dry rubs, marinades and on chicken, fish, beef, pork or even vegetables. With spices, fresh is always best. This homemade five spice powder will take your recipes over the top.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 5 whole star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
Here's how to make it:
- Put the peppercorns into a dry skillet over medium heat. Shake until the peppercorns are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Put the peppercorns and star anise into a spice grinder. Grind until fine.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon and fennel seeds. Pulse until it's a very fine powder. Store in an airtight container.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.