Scallops Tikka Masala Recipe: A Tasty Variation of the Indian Recipe by Melissa Vickers
I love tikka masala, and tend to associate it with chicken, mostly because that’s how I’ve made it before. It’s not limited to chicken though! This time I decided to try it with some bay scallops for seafood-flavored version. Yummy!
Tikka refers to the traditional way of soaking marinated meat and then skewering them to cook in a tandoor, or cylindrical oven fired by charcoal or firewood. Masala refers to the Indian spices mixed with yogurt and cream to make a creamy sauce with as much “zing” as you wish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen bay scallops, thawed and drained well on paper towels
- 3 tablespoons tikka masala spice blend (I used Deliah Tikka Masala Spice Blend)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 yellow squash, sliced in 1/4-inch rounds and cut in half
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- In a bowl, combine scallops and tikka masala spice blend. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. When hot, add scallops and cook until slightly browning and most of excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions, squash and mushrooms to pan. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes (with juice) and bring to a simmer. Return scallops to pan and cook for 10 minutes. Add in lemon juice and cream. Bring everything to a simmer.
- Whisk in yogurt and cilantro. Serve over rice or couscous.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.