Crispy Baked Hearts of Palm Cakes Recipe Tastes Like a Crab Cake by Donna John
My daughter doesn't eat meat, so I'm always looking for interesting vegetarian and vegan recipes to make for her when she visits. When we were in Austin not too long ago, we ate some delicious vegan "crab cakes" made with hearts of palm. This is my attempt at recreating that recipe. And yes, they do taste like a crab cake!
Serve these crispy baked hearts of palm cakes as a vegetarian or vegan main dish or as a side dish. Garnish the "crab cakes" with chopped green onions, a lemon wedge and serve with additional hot sauce or remoulade sauce.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- 1 can (14 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 - 4 chopped green onions
- 1 cup panko (divided)
- hot sauce, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Cut the hearts of palm into pieces, then use your fingers to shred it (similar to crab meat texture).
- Add the mayonnaise, Old Bay, green onions, 1/2 cup of the panko and a few shakes of hot sauce (to taste). Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Put the other 1/2 cup of panko into a small shallow bowl.
- Shape the mixture into big or small patties. (I did five bigger patties.) Dredge both sides in the panko and put onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes are golden and crispy.
Note: Baking time will vary depending on size of cakes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Sheets $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Mayonnaise $3 & Up
Vegan Mayonnaise $4 & Up
Old Bay Seasoning $4 & Up
Panko $2 & Up
Hot Sauce $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.