Crispy Baked Hearts of Palm Cakes Recipe Tastes Like a Crab Cake by Donna John
My daughter doesn't eat meat, so I'm always looking for interesting vegetarian and vegan recipes to make for her when she visits. When we were in Austin not too long ago, we ate some delicious vegan "crab cakes" made with hearts of palm. This is my attempt at recreating that recipe. And yes, they do taste like a crab cake!
All you need to make these crispy baked heart of palm cakes is a can of hearts of palm, mayonnaise (regular or vegan), Old Bay seasoning, green onions, panko breadcrumbs and hot sauce. The ingredients are mixed together, seasoned with salt and pepper, shaped into cakes, dredged in panko and baked until crispy. Delish
Serve these crispy baked hearts of palm cakes as a vegetarian or vegan main dish or as a side dish. Garnish the "crab cakes" with chopped green onions, a lemon wedge and serve with additional hot sauce or remoulade sauce.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- 1 can (14 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 - 4 chopped green onions
- 1 cup panko (divided)
- hot sauce, to taste
- Baking time will vary depending on size of cakes.
Here's how to make it:
- Cut the hearts of palm into pieces, then use your fingers to shred it (similar to crab meat texture).
- Add the mayonnaise, Old Bay, green onions, 1/2 cup of the panko and a few shakes of hot sauce (to taste). Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Put the other 1/2 cup of panko into a small shallow bowl.
- Shape the mixture into big or small patties. (I did five bigger patties.) Dredge both sides in the panko and put onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes are golden and crispy.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.