Baked Ziti Casserole Recipe With Provolone: A Marvelous Meal for Meatless Monday by Ann Marie Patitucci
Baked ziti is comfort food at its finest. To be completely transparent, this is not my Italian family’s baked ziti recipe. However, my hubby loves provolone cheese, so I came across a recipe with provolone and thought I’d give it a try. It was good, though a bit blander than we’re used to, so I modified it and am now happy to share it with you!
The provolone and red wine make it different from the typical ziti bake and I like that! I personally prefer baked ziti without meat, so if you’re looking for such a recipe – perfect for Meatless Mondays – here you go. Bon appetit!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 65 minutes
Total Time: 85 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 16 ounces uncooked ziti
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 - 5 tablespoons minced garlic (to taste)
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes (I prefer Contadina brand)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (add more, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- In a 6-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, wine or broth, sugar, basil and Italian seasoning. Taste the sauce and add salt and/or pepper, if needed. Add red pepper flakes, if desired. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in uncooked ziti.
- Transfer to a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven, covered, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until ziti is tender and cheese is melted.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Ziti $2 & Up
Italian Crushed Tomatoes $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Italian Seasoning $2 & Up
Dried Basil $3 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.