The Pioneer Woman's Knock You Naked Brownies Recipe Is to Die For by Donna John
Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman, knows how to make a mean meal – especially when it comes to desserts. This is one of her all-time favorites! "I was once gifted with a tin of brownies by a very kind soul," she writes in her cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier. "It was a tin of Killer Brownies from Dorothy Lane Market in Dayton, Ohio. And these weren't just any brownies. They were multilayered wonders with gorgeous caramel oozing out of the center layers. And the flavor was to die for!"
She never got the official brownie recipe, but says "this classic old layer brownie recipe is rumored to be a very close match." And for the record, she has no clue as to the origin of this recipe name. "But it's probably just as well."
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus time to chill
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes plus time to chill
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 box (18 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 60 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Here's how to make it:
- Pour 1/3 cup evaporated milk into a bowl with the cake mix. Add the melted butter and chopped pecans. Mix the batter together (it will be thick). Divide the dough in half.
- Press half of the dough into a greased and floured 9x9-inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the first brownie layer is baking, melted the caramels and 1/2 cup evaporated milk over a double boiler or bowl set over a pot of boiling water. Stir occasionally until mixture is smooth.
- Pour the caramel over the baked first layer, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- On a clean work surface, press the remaining brownie dough into a square shape slightly larger than the baking pan. Carefully set it on top of the chocolate chips. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours to set.
- When ready to eat, dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Caramels $3 & Up
Evaporated Milk $2 & Up
Semisweet Chocolate Chips $3 & Up
German Chocolate Cake Mix $1 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Pecans $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.