Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger Recipe: This Easy Smashed Cheeseburger Recipe Is Wow! by Donna John
An Oklahoma burger? Being from Texas, I wasn't too sure about it. But wow! People in Oklahoma know how to eat a burger! Oklahoma-style onion burgers are smashed burgers with caramelized fried onions. They're usually just dressed with a slice of American cheese and dill pickles. Uh, yum.
My Oklahoma onion burger recipe also has a fresh-made burger sauce that's drizzled over the meat, cheese and onions. I changed things up a bit like Melissa Vickers does on her recipes and used grated cheddar cheese instead of American cheese. And because it's hard for me to eat a burger without lettuce and tomatoes, I added that as well – and a few slices of fresh red onion. This smashed burger recipe was the best meal of the week – so far!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dill pickle juice
- ground cayenne, to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 slices American cheese (I used grated cheddar cheese)
- dill pickles
- 4 hamburger buns
Here's how to make it:
- Stir together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the ground beef into four patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet (I used cast iron). Add the onions and season with a little salt and pepper. Stir to coat with the oil, then push together to form four "piles."
- Put a burger on top of each pile of onions. Push down with a spatula.
- Cook until well browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the burgers and onions over and continue to cook until desired doneness.
- Add the cheese and cook until melted.
- Put the burger and onions on the bottom of a hamburger bun. Top with the burger sauce and pickles. Add any other toppings you desire. Eat while hot!
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Mayonnaise $3 & Up
Ketchup $2 & Up
Yellow Mustard $1 & Up
Dill Pickles $2 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Ground Cayenne $3 & Up
Hamburger Buns $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.