Grandma’s Ambrosia Salad Recipe: This Creamy Fruit Salad Recipe Is Old-fashioned Perfection by Ann Marie G.H. Patitucci
My mom’s mother was Mary Patitucci, whom we grandkids lovingly called Grandma “Tucci.” She was unlike any other grandmother I knew. She was loving and sweet and fun, but she didn’t dress like other grandmas (for instance, she wore bright red lipstick at all times!) and you’d be more likely to find her playing cards or hanging out with family or at the race track than in the kitchen. I adored her. I’d like to think I inherited some of her independent spirit.
The only food I ever remember Grandma Tucci making when I was a kid was ambrosia – it was her signature dish. We’ve lost her hard copy recipe over the years, but my mom has put together an ambrosia dessert recipe that’s very close, if not perfect. It’s great for spring and summer gatherings.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours to chill
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 tub (8 ounces) frozen whipped cream, thawed
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained well
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained well
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherry halves, drained VERY well
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, white or multicolored
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional (My family prefers walnuts)
Here's how to make it:
- In a medium-sized bowl (preferably with a lid), combine thawed whipped cream, shredded coconut and marshmallows.
- Fold in mandarin oranges, pineapple, maraschino cherries and nuts, if using.
- Once combined, cover with the lid (or plastic wrap) and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Eat within a day.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Shredded Coconut $2 & Up
Mandarin Oranges $3 & Up
Pineapple Tidbits $2 & Up
Maraschino Cherries $2 & Up
Mini Marshmallows $2 & Up
Chopped Pecans $4 & Up
Chopped Walnuts $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.