Luscious Lobster Newburg Recipe: A Romantic Dinner in About 30 Minutes by 30Seconds Food
Lobster Newburg (sometimes spelled Lobster Newberg), is an American lobster recipe that's a restaurant classic. Tender chunks of lobster are cooked in a sauce made with butter, cream, cognac (sometimes sherry), eggs and a hint of cayenne. The rich, creamy dish is deceptively easy to make, especially if you buy precooked lobster meat.
Lobster Newburg is typically served over puff pastry or toast points. Sometimes it's served over the split lobster body or tail. However it is served, it's an indulgent dinner that's easy enough for Monday night and impressive enough for dinner guests or your sweetheart for that romantic dinner for two.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 pound cooked lobster meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 - 4 tablespoons cognac
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 frozen puff pastry shells
Here's how to make it:
- Bake the puff pastry shells according to package directions.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Gradually pour in the half and half, whisking, and cook until it just begins to thicken. (Do not let it boil.)
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl. Add a spoonful of the half and half mixture into the eggs to temper, then pour them into the pan. Stir until combined.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the lobster, cognac, lemon juice, lemon zest and cayenne, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to heat through.
- To serve, ladle the sauce over the puff pastry shells.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.