Fantastic Filipino Chicken Adobo Recipe: The Sauce on This One-Pan Chicken Recipe Is Dang Delicious by 30Seconds Food
Adobo is a traditional dish and cooking process in the Philippines. Anything can be made "adobo style," from chicken to shrimp to vegetables. The protein is cooked in a sauce made with vinegar, soy, garlic, bay leaves and lots of black pepper or peppercorns. So rich and delicious!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 to 5
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 jalapeno, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Put the chicken into the hot oil and brown both sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, jalapeno, sugar, bay leaf and black pepper to the skillet. Put the chicken back into the skillet, skin side up. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F internal temperature). Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth. Pour the slurry into the skillet and whisk into the sauce. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Put the chicken back into the pan and coat with the sauce. Garnish sliced jalapenos or green onions and serve with rice.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Low Sodium Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Vinegar $2 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Cornstarch $1 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Black Pepper $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.