Filipino Adobo Chicken Recipe: Make This Easy Filipino Chicken Recipe for Dinner Tonight by Jules All
I grew up eating my Filipina grandmother's Adobo Chicken, the most amazing of all Filipino dishes. Lola, as we call her, is a wonderful cook and I always looked forward to her meals, especially this savory chicken dish. Now that I live on my own, I have been trying to re-create Lola's incredible Adobo Chicken. I felt like whenever I made Adobo, it wasn’t quite as good as hers. But I finally created a recipe that I think comes close to doing hers justice.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 8 chicken legs or chicken thighs, or a combination (but not chicken breast)
- 6 - 8 tablespoons soy sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 whole lemon
- 3 - 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- black pepper, to taste
- rice, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken, bay leaves, lemon (instead of vinegar, which many Adobo recipes call for), black pepper, bay leaves, garlic, sugar and soy sauce into a large pot. (I put in 6 tablespoons of soy sauce, a whole lemon, which is very important, and about 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar. It won’t seem like a lot of sauce yet in the pot.)
- When all the ingredients are in, bring it to a boil. After it's boiling, reduce hear and then simmer. (You will see that the juice comes out of the chicken and magically creates a sauce that fills up the pot! You can add more soy sauce and lemon if you want, but try to keep it only half covering the meat since so much more sauce will be created as it simmers. Feel free to tinker with the ingredients if you prefer more pepper, sugar or garlic, etc.)
- While it's simmering, make a pot of rice in a rice cooker or however you prefer to cook rice. Within an hour, you will have a fresh pot of the most savory, moist, delicious chicken ever. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Gluten-Free Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Black Pepper $3 & Up
Rice $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.