Easy Homemade Pelmeni Recipe: This Simple Meat Dumpling Is a Traditional Eastern European Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Delicious meat-filled dumplings called pelmeni are popular in Ukraine and other Eastern European countries. The dough is simple to make and the meat filling has minimal ingredients. Simple cooking, and a savory dinner, at their finest.
This easy pelmeni recipe can be cooked immediately or frozen to use later. Traditionally, pelmeni are served with sour cream on the side or melted butter and fresh dill. (Be sure to make extra for this pelmeni soup recipe!)
Cuisine: Eastern European
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- 2 pounds ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey or ground beef (or a combination)
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- sour cream
- melted butter
- fresh chopped dill
Here's how to make it:
- For the filling, combine the meat, onion and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the flour and salt. Stir in the eggs until combined. Pour in the water. On low, mix the dough until smooth. Remove the dough to a floured work surface.
- To make the dumplings using a pelmeni mold (the easiest way), roll the dough out and place it over a floured mold.
- Fill each hole with some of the meat filling.
- Roll another sheet of dough and place it over the meat filling.
- With a rolling pin, roll over the mold so the dough separates into individual dumplings. Remove the excess dough.
- Flip the mold over so the dumplings fall out. Sprinkle with a little flour so they don't stick together.
- To cook the pelmeni, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the dumplings and cook until they float to the top.
- Serve with butter and sour cream or use in your favorite recipe.
Note: Pelmeni can also be made by hand. Roll the dough out and cut into circles by hand or using a cookie cutter. Put the filing into the center and fold the dough over to create a moon shape. Pinch edges to seal, then pinch the corners together.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.