Mumbai Potatoes Recipe With Mustard Greens: Indian Spices Make This Easy Potato Recipe Sing by Chef Hari Pulapaka
The mustard greens are a contemporary addition, but this was the very first dish I made for Jenneffer. After discovering that we both got our jollies from bold and pungent food, I whipped up a version for dinner with lots of habanero peppers.
Once the toxic pepper fumes had subsided, we sat cross-legged in bed at my modest one-room dwelling, sharing my take on Mumbai potatoes while pretending to watch late-night television. Little could we have imagined the beautiful future this moment would blossom into.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 3 cups mustard greens, washed, dried and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 serrano, sliced thinly (less or more depending on preference)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves (if available)
- extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, as needed
- water, as needed
- salt and pepper, in stages and per taste
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until just shy of being completely cooked. Drain well.
- In a shallow pan, over medium heat, heat some oil and add the mustard seed, cumin seed, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds while stirring. Add the onions and mustard greens and cook until the onions are a light golden brown.
- Add all the ground spices and stir around for 30 seconds. Add more oil if the mixture is dry.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Stew the spiced tomato mixture until a bright sauce develops in the pan.
- Add the par-cooked potatoes, stir well and cover the pan. Stew the potatoes on low heat for about 20 minutes. Open the pan, taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as desired. Finish with the chopped cilantro.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.