Tried-and-True Slow-Cooker Bread Recipe: This Soft, Fresh Bread Recipe Cooks in 2 Hours by Melissa Vickers
Who doesn’t love freshly made, still warm bread? I did have a bread maker that made really tasty bread, but I had to plan ahead to accommodate the five hours of cook time.
I discovered this bread recipe online and gave it a try. It makes a flatter loaf, soft, slightly sweet and done in half the time. I made this slow-cooker bread recipe to go with a pot of the Hungarian mushroom soup – they made for a lovely comfort-food meal.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- rosemary (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Pour warm water into a large bowl. Add sugar and mix until dissolved. Add dry yeast and stir. Let sit in a warm spot for about 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add salt to bowl and stir to dissolve. Add vegetable oil.
- Add flour and mix with hands until everything is combined. Knead the dough for 5 minutes and form into a round ball.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Sit in a warm spot for 30 minutes to rise, doubling in size.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of your slow cooker and come up the sides a bit to keep bread from sticking as it rises. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick spray.
- Place your dough into slow cooker. Sprinkle with rosemary, if using. Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and brush a little bit of butter on top. If you want a crispy crust on top, place under broiler for about 1 minute until slightly brown. Watch to make sure it doesn’t burn!
Notes: This makes a slightly sweet bread. I think for my next loaf I’ll back off on how much sugar is added. To create a nice warm spot, I heated a cup of water for 2 minutes in my microwave to warm it up and then placed the bowl of dough in and closed the door.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slow Cookers $25 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Active Dried Yeast $4 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Rosemary $3 & Up
Nonstick Cooking Spray $3 & Up
Bread Makers $50 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.