Grandma's Vintage Lemon Meringue Puff Pie Recipe From the 1960s by Donna John
My grandma had more than index cards in her recipe box. She also had recipes torn out of magazines, newspapers and advertisements. This is a lemon meringue pie recipe from a 1962 Family Circle magazine.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 pie
- 1 9-inch pastry shell
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (for filling)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sugar (for meringue)
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare and bake pastry crust. Cool.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Heat water to boiling, reduce heat, gradually add sugar mixture, stirring constantly and cook 5 to 7 minutes until mixture holds a line when cut with a spoon. Remove from the heat at once.
- Separate eggs. Beat yolks slightly with fork. Stir in a generous 1/2 cup of hot mixture and quickly stir back into saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture mounds softly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon rind, juice and butter. Pour into pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites with lemon extract until double in volume. Then beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms peaks. Pile the meringue on filling, spreading to edge of crust. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F) until golden brown.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.