Skinny Baked "Ziti" Recipe: A Healthy Ground Turkey Casserole With No Pasta by Sarah Amona
This baked cauliflower ziti recipe is an AMAZING weekend or weeknight meal. Baked ziti is usually a family favorite, and this one has healthier ingredients so you'll feel good about making it and serving it. And get this, there's no pasta in it!
This baked "ziti" recipe uses cauliflower as the star of the dish. The ingredients are simple: onion, garlic, ground turkey, tomato paste, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, dried oregano, crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, cauliflower florets, low-fat ricotta cheese and reduced-fat mozzarella cheese.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 95 percent lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- 2 3/4 cups cauliflower, cut into florets and roasted
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella
- chopped green onion, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return saucepan over medium heat and add tomato paste and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes more, until slightly darkened. Add crushed tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- In a large bowl, pour sauce over cauliflower and stir to combine. In a large baking dish, place half the cauliflower in an even layer. Dollop all over with half the ricotta and sprinkle with half the mozzarella and Parmesan. Add remaining cauliflower in an even layer on top and top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven until cheese is melty and golden, about 28 minutes. Garnish with basil before serving.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.