Fun Halloween Recipes: Spooky Fried Potato Straws Recipe Looks Like a Spider Nest by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Seconds Resident Chef
Who wouldn't love to dig into this pile of fried shoestring potatoes – even if they have spooky spiders crawling all over them? This easy Halloween recipe will delight kids and adults.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- canola oil, for frying
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- garlic salt
- Parmesan cheese
- black sesame seeds
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- plastic spiders, for decorating
Here's how to make it:
- Pour about 3 to 4 inches of oil into a large pot or deep fryer. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the temperature and heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, wash and peel potatoes and remove any dark spots. Using a mandoline slicer fitted with the julienne blade, slice potatoes into matchsticks. You could also cut them uniformly by hand. Soak the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the water bath and place on paper towels or clean dishcloths to dry completely. Pat the potatoes dry or use a salad spinner, if available.
- Fry the potatoes a little at a time. Watch the oil temperature and do not let it drop below 350 degrees F. Fry for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-covered surface. Season with salt and black pepper. If desired, add other spices or seasonings at this time. Repeat the process until all potatoes are fried.
- Pile the potatoes high onto a plate and dust with grated Parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, parsley and plastic spiders.
Pro Tip: Be sure not to add too many potatoes at one time. The hot oil will bubble in volume at least three times its size. Bubbling over hot oil on a flame could start a kitchen fire. Make sure to have an extinguisher handy any time you are cooking.
Note: The plastic spiders could be choking hazards for small children.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Deep Fryers $15 & Up
Mandoline Slicers $10 & Up
Canola Oil $2 & Up
Garlic Salt $3 & Up
Black Sesame Seeds $3 & Up
Plastic Spiders $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.