Singapore Chili Crab Recipe: Step Outside the Box & Make This Sweet & Spicy Chili Crab Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Chili crab is said to be the unofficial national dish of Singapore. Crabs – mud crabs, Dungeness crabs or blue crabs – are cooked in a flavorful sweet and spicy sauce. This Singapore chili crab recipe can be served as a main dish or appetizer.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2 to 3
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 7 - 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 - 4 Thai chiles, minced
- 2 - 3 whole crabs (about 2 pounds total), cleaned and cut into sections
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce or chili garlic sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 egg
- watercress, arugula, chopped parsley or chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, ginger, garlic and Thai chiles. Cook about 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the crab and broth. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until crab turns red, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the tomato paste, sweet chili sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Remove the wok from the heat. Add the egg and cook about 30 seconds. Pour the crab and sauce into a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro, parsley, watercress or arugula, if desired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Woks $12 & Up
Large Skillets $10 & Up
Peanut Oil $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Sweet Chili Sauce $3 & Up
Chili Garlic Sauce $3 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.