Peach-Stuffed Sourdough Pancakes Recipe: This Summer Peach Griddle Cake Recipe Is Gluten-free by Susan Evind
Our peach tree yielded lots of peaches this year, so coming up with a different way to cook with them was a challenge. Using sourdough starter discard (see note below) gives the peachy sweetness a tangy taste. Instead of mixing pieces of peaches into the batter or even pouring them over griddled pancakes, I placed small pieces inside each round of batter before flipping. They turned out like little individual peach cakes. Drenched with butter and maple syrup, they were yummy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: Makes 6 to 8 pancakes
- 1 cup gluten-free baking and pancake mix (you could use regular baking mix)
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup sourdough starter discard
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or walnut oil
- 4 ripe fresh peaches, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (see note below)
Here's how to make it:
- Follow the basic recipe on a box or bag of gluten-free pancake and mix using the egg, sourdough starter discard and oil. Mix all ingredients together (except the peaches) until there are no lumps, so that batter is not too thick or thin.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto a preheated, lightly oiled griddle (medium-low heat or 350 degrees F for an electric griddle) or skillet. (You can use round pancake molds, if desired.)
- About 2 to 3 minutes before flipping, place a few peach pieces in each round. Flip and cook until cooked through. Serve with butter and syrup.
If you keep a sourdough starter, you’ve been “feeding” it at least once a week with equal parts water (1/2 cup) to flour (1/2 cup). And you’re most likely “throwing out” a cup of starter before each feeding. So instead of doing that, use the old or discarded amount for pancakes or biscuits. A great way to “recycle” by making baked goods taste great!
Instead of peeling each peach, put them into a pot of boiling water for 10 to 20 seconds. Carefully remove with tongs to drain in a colander. After a few minutes of cooling down, you can *slide* the peels right off! Easy peasy (or peachy!)
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.