20-Minute King Ranch Casserole Recipe Done Healthier & Faster by Donna John
Growing up in Texas, king ranch casserole was always a favorite. But when it's just the two of you, this Mexican casserole recipe can be overwhelming. Most king ranch casseroles are huge (layered in a 13x9-inch pan) and loaded with cans of cream of chicken soup.
Here's my version of a lighter, more manageable size king ranch casserole. It'll still feed a family, but we have leftovers for one night instead of for a whole week. Serve with avocado slices or guacamole.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used chicken breast)
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 4 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 - 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet or cast iron skillet. Add the onion, red bell pepper, poblano pepper and jalapeno. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the broth and cook another minute.
- Add the cream cheese and cook until melted, then add the cooked chicken, tomatoes and green chiles and tortilla pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Put the skillet under a preheated broiler and cook just until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with the cilantro.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Ovenproof Skillets $10 & Up
Cast Iron Skillets $12 & Up
Ground Cumin $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Tomatoes With Green Chiles $2 & Up
Corn Tortillas $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.