Taiwanese Castella Cake Recipe: We All Need to Make This Jiggly Sponge Cake Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Ready to jiggle? Taiwanese castella cake is a soft, aerated sponge cake that is, yes, jiggly. This traditional Taiwanese castella cake recipe is adapted from a recipe by Spoonful Passion, and is really easy to make at home.
Fun Fact: Castella was brought to Taiwan in 1917 when it was still under Japanese rule. A Japanese bakery started selling it in Taiwan, which caused the jiggy sponge cake to gain popularity.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 to 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/8 cup cake flour
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Here's how to make it:
- Put the milk and oil into a small sauce pot and heat to 158 degrees F. Pour it into a mixing bowl.
- Add the cake flour and whisk until combined. Add one egg yolk at a time until combined. Stir in the salt and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that it's coming up the sides a few inches.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy. Turn to low speed and add the sugar. Turn to high speed and beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold in one-third of the egg whites into the batter with a whisk. Continue with another one-third. End with the remaining one-third of the egg whites, folding in until not entirely combined but almost. Use a rubber spatula and make sure there's no unmixed batter on the sides or bottom of the bowl. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Shake it to help spread out the batter and tap it a couple times on the counter to release air bubbles.
- Place the loaf pan into the a larger baking pan. Pour about 1 inch of hot water in the larger pan. Put the pan into the oven. Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes or until top is browned.
- Take the cake out of the oven and immediately remove the cake from the loaf pan by pulling up on the parchment paper. Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
- Cut into slices. Cool or serve warm.
This video is longer than 30 seconds, but we think it's worth it.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Loaf Pans $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Cake Flour $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Electric Mixers $15 & Up
Sauce Pots $10 & Up
Whisks $5 & Up
Rubber Spatulas $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.