German Gyros Recipe (Döner Kebab): This Chicken Sandwich Recipe Rocks by 30Seconds Food
Döner kebab is a seasoned meat kebab that's made on a rotisserie. The meat is stacked, slow cooked and shaved. The shaved meat is used to make sandwiches that are popular street food in Turkey and Germany. All that meat prep is not easy for a home cook. This easy döner kebab sandwich recipe starts with marinated chicken breast that's quick cooked in a skillet.
Boneless chicken breast is marinated in a mixture of paprika, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried marjoram, dried rosemary, ground cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, fresh garlic, onion, lemon juice and olive oil. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour and up to overnight. When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the marinade and pan-fry in a hot skillet until cooked through. Assemble the sandwiches on sandwich rolls, flatbread or pita bread with tzatziki, finely shredded red cabbage, tomatoes and red onions. So fresh and delicious!
Serve this German gyro sandwich with potato chips, french fries or a side salad for lunch or dinner.
Prep Time: 1 hour to overnight to marinate
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sandwich rolls, flatbread or pita bread
- red cabbage, finely shredded
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
Here's how to make it:
- Slice the chicken breast into vey thin slices. (This is easier if the chicken is partially frozen.) Put the chicken into a plastic zipper food storage bag.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients. Pour it into the bag with the chicken. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat a skillet to high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. (This may have to be done in two batches so the pan is not overcrowded.) Season with a little salt and pepper.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread a layer of tzatziki on the bottom of the bread. Top with the tomato slices, red onion and cabbage. Add a generous layer of the cooked chicken. Top with more tzatziki. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $12 & Up
Paprika $2 & Up
Oregano $3 & Up
Thyme $3 & Up
Rosemary $4 & Up
Marjoram $4 & Up
Cumin $3 & Up
Coriander $3 & Up
Cayenne $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.