Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe Plus Printable Instructions for Baking & Sharing by Donna John
A friend gave me an Amish friendship bread starter years ago – and I cannot tell you how many loaves of this sweet bread were baked at my house. It's time to start this tradition again! Here's how to make an Amish friendship bread starter, tips for caring for the starter and the easy recipe. Print out several copies of the directions below and get ready for some delicious fun.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 packet active dry yeast (.25 ounces)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the yeast and water in a bowl. Stir and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a plastic zipper bag, combine the flour and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the milk and yeast mixture. Seal the bag and squish around to thoroughly combine.
- Leave the bag out on your counter and consider this Day 1 of the Amish friendship bread's 10-day cycle.
Amish Friendship Bread Cycle
Day 1: Do nothing.
Day 2: Mush the bag.
Day 3: Mush the bag.
Day 4: Mush the bag.
Day 5: Mush the bag.
Day 6: Add to the bag 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Mush the bag.
Day 7: Mush the bag.
Day 8: Mush the bag. Read the directions for Day 10 to be sure you have all the ingredients on hand.
Day 9: Mush the bag. The batter will start to smell sour by now. Do not worry, it is supposed to.
Day 10: Follow the directions to make Amish friendship bread.
Amish Friendship Bread Tips
- Always leave the starter at room temperature.
- Do not use metal utensils or bowls.
- If the plastic zipper bag puffs up with air, open it and release the air carefully.
Here's the original printout I was given when my friend gave me my first Amish friendship bread starter. As you can tell, it's been well used. You can print this out or type up your own.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Plastic Zipper Bags $3 & Up
Active Dry Yeast $3 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.