Make This Crispy Fish Sandwich Recipe at Home for Lent (Skip the Drive-thru) by 30Seconds Food
White fish like cod, tilapia or halibut are dipped into a buttermilk, then into buttery cracker crumbs, panko breadcrumbs and Old Bay seasoning. The fish goes immediately into hot oil in a skillet and cooks until golden brown and cooked through. Drain the fish on paper towels and then get ready to build that fish sandwich. Spread sandwich buns with tartar sauce then add lettuce, the crispy fried fish, cheese and more tartar sauce. Mmm.
You can use store-bought tartar sauce for this crispy fish sandwich recipe, but if you have time, make some homemade tartar sauce. It's easy! Add whatever toppings you'd like to this fish sandwich. A slice of ripe tomato and red onion would add even more flavor and crunch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 whitefish fillets (cod, tilapia and halibut work well), cut in half (about 6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed buttery crackers
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sandwich buns
- cheese slices
- tartar sauce (try this homemade tartar sauce recipe)
Here's how to make it:
- Pour the buttermilk in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. In another shallow bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, panko and Old Bay seasoning.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet to about 350 degrees F. Season the fish with salt and pepper, and then dip the fish into the buttermilk and then into the cracker mixture.
- Place in the hot oil and fry until golden and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the fish. Drain the fish on paper towels.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread the sandwich buns with tartar sauce. Add lettuce, the fish and then top with a slice of cheese and more tartar sauce, if desired.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.