Tempura Fish Tacos Recipe With Serrano-Avocado Sauce & Creamy Cole Slaw Is What's For Dinner by Chef Gigi
Although most fish taco enthusiasts disagree about what makes the ultimate fish taco, know this: in its purest form, this iconic dish consists of only a few items. Savory pieces of fish, a little dressed cabbage slaw and a creamy, delicious dressing folded into a warm tortilla.
Shake up taco night by serving this easy fish taco recipe. The serrano-avocado sauce is perfection and the cole slaw adds that perfect crunch. You can't go wrong.
Cuisine: Mexican / American
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 - 2 cups sparkling apple cider or plain sparkling water
- 1 pound firm white skinless fish, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- neutral tasting oil, for deep pan frying
- salt and white pepper
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 recipe fish batter
- flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, shredded thin
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- white pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 Serrano chile, stem removed (seeds left in for more heat)
- 2 - 4 ripe avocados, pitted, flesh removed and smashed
- 1 - 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash Worcestershire sauce
Here's how to make it:
- To make the batter, combine the flour, salt, pepper and baking powder together in a medium bowl. Gradually add the sparkling cider or water, whisking until the batter is smooth with no lumps. Set aside. Makes approximately 2 cups.
- To make the fish, salt and pepper the fish. Dip the fish strips into the batter and coat on both sides. Let the excess batter drip off. Fry the fish in the hot oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Work in batches so you don't crowd the pan.
- To prepare the tortillas, in a lightly oiled pan, warm the tortillas individually on both sides until the edges are slightly brown. Gently wrap in foil and place in a warm 200-degree F degree oven with a small bowl of warm water until the fish is ready. The water will prevent the corn tortillas from becoming too dry. Do not fry the fish and place it in the humid oven or it will become soggy.
- To make the cole slaw, in a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, crema, honey, garlic salt, cumin, white pepper, lime juice and poppy seeds, if using. Set dressing aside. In a large bowl, toss the dressing over the sliced red onion, shredded cabbage, chopped cilantro and parsley. Cover and set aside to chill. This recipe can be made a day ahead. Makes approximately 10 to 12 servings.
- To make the serrano-avocado sauce, combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding additional cayenne, salt or white pepper. Store in an airtight container. Recipe can be made up to two days in advance. Makes approximately 2 to 3 cups.
- To assemble the tacos, spread a tablespoon or more of the avocado sauce onto the center of each tortilla. Lay one or two pieces of the fried fish on top of the sauce. Top with coleslaw. Fold over to make a taco. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze directly on the taco filling.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Sparking Apple Cider $4 & Up
Apple Cider Vinegar $3 & Up
Honey $4 & Up
Agave $4 & Up
Ground Cumin $3 & Up
Garlic Salt $3 & Up
White Pepper $4 & Up
Poppy Seeds $4 & Up
Cayenne Pepper $3 & Up
Worcestershire Sauce $2 & Up
Sparkling Water $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.