Authentic Tiramisu Recipe: This Zabaglione With Sweetened Mascarpone & Espresso-Dipped Ladyfingers Is the Real Thing by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Light, airy and fragrant zabaglione mixed with mascarpone and fresh whipped cream, then dusted with dark cocoa all settled on a bed of ladyfingers softened by liqueur-spiked espresso. This is the real Italian version of tiramisu.
- 2 cups fresh-brewed espresso or 3 tablespoons instant-espresso powder in 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 pound mascarpone
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 36 crisp Italian ladyfingers
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Here's how to make it:
- Brew espresso or combine water with espresso powder. Add 1 tablespoon of the sugar and coffee liqueur. Stir to in a small bowl until sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, beat egg yolks, Marsala, and 1/2 cup sugar to combine. Set the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Using a balloon whisk or handheld electric mixer, beat until tripled in volume, about 5-8 minutes. Remove bowl from heat. Beat in mascarpone until just combined.
- In a separate chilled bowl, beat the heavy cream until it holds a stiff peak. Gently, but thoroughly, fold in the mascarpone mixture.
- Dipping both sides of each ladyfinger into coffee mixture, line bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan with ladyfingers in three rows, trimming edges to fit if necessary.
- Spread half of mascarpone filling on top of the ladyfingers. Dip remaining ladyfingers in the coffee mixture and layer in the pan between the egg cream mixture until you reach the top. Spread remaining mascarpone filling on top and dust with cocoa. Chill, covered, at least 5 hours.
- Allow tiramisu to stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Dust with additional cocoa just before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.