Russian Tea Cakes: You'll Go Nuts for This Easy Cookie Recipe! by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Seconds Resident Chef
Vary the texture and flavor of these Russian tea cookies by playing with different nuts. Macadamia, cashew, hazelnut, pecans or black walnuts are delicious choices. Toast and finely ground before mixing them into the dough.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for coating
Here's how to make them:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand beater, combine the butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla. Mix about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together, about an additional minute.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake approximately 10-12 minutes in a preheated 400-degree F oven, or until set but not browned. Carefully remove from cookie sheet and place onto a wire rack to cool enough to handle.
- Gently roll the warm cookies in a shallow bowl filled with powdered sugar. Cool on wire rack with a sheet of parchment under for easy cleanup. Roll in powdered sugar one additional time after they have completely cooled.