Classic Turkish Eggplant Recipe (Imam Bayildi): Easy Stuffed Eggplant on Flavor Overload by 30Seconds Food
Imam bayildi is a baked Turkish dish – though often seen on menus throughout Greece – consisting of eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, herbs and olive oil. The eggplant recipe is a wonderful vegetarian dinner or side dish with your favorite meal. This classic Turkish dish is simple to prepare and is loaded with flavor.
For this Turkish recipe you'll need olive oil, an onion, fresh garlic, tomatoes, fresh parsley, eggplants, sugar and a lemon. The easy recipe starts on the stovetop and ends with baking in the oven. The recipe takes less than one hour, and that includes prep time and cooking time.
Serve imam bayildi as a vegetarian main dish or as a side dish with chicken, beef or seafood. The dish can be served warm or at room temperature.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggplants, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
Here’s how to make it:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the tomatoes, garlic, parsley and mint. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until all the liquid has absorbed, stirring often. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil into the same skillet. Add the eggplant and fry until golden. Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to paper towels and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- If it is ovenproof, wipe the skillet clean and put the eggplant back into it. (If your skillet is not ovenproof, transfer to a baking sheet.) Spoon the tomato mixture over the top of the eggplant. Drizzle with the lemon juice and top with the zest and sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 30 to 35 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Olive Oil $5 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
Ovenproof Skillets $12 & Up
Baking Sheets $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.