Clam Cakes Recipe: This New England Clam Cake Recipe Is the Perfect Dunk for Chowder by Shauna Flury
- 2 pounds clams
- 1 bottle beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted, salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- oil, for frying
Here's how to make them:
- Bring beer to a boil. Add clams and cook until shells open, about 4-8 minutes (discard any that haven't opened).
- In a large pot, add oil to a depth of 3 inches. Bring oil to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the clams and their juices, milk, egg and butter together. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and pepper. Add the clam mixture to the dry ingredients along with the lemon juice. Stir to just combine (do not over mix!).
- Drop batter into the oil by heaping tablespoons full. Work in batches so you don't crowd the pan, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain the temperature.
- Fry until clam cakes are nicely browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes total. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Flour $3 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Cooking Oils $3
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.