Global Ingredients: 10 Menu Items That Confuse Many Diners (How Many Do You Know?) by Gigi Gaggero
According to a recent online survey by Harris Poll, a large percent of diners thought some restaurant menus were confusing. Don’t miss out on enjoying these now mainstream delicious dishes or ingredients because you're not familiar with global cuisine – just ask! The chef wants you to experience new flavor sensations! Trust me. Here is the top 10 menu items diners say confuse them:
- Okonomiyaki (o-konomi-yaki) – savory Japanese pancake
- Gochujang (go-choo-jang) – spicy, and at times stinky, Korean condiment
- Piri piri (pir-ree-pir-ree) – African bird’s eye chili common in Portuguese and South African dishes
- Yuzu (yoo-zoo) – sour yellow citrus common in Japanese and Korean dishes
- Bibimbap (bi-bim-bop) – Korean dish of rice topped with a variety of things like sautéed vegetables, beef and eggs
- Gougere (ɡo͞oˈZHer) – puffed cheese pastry
- Guanciale (gwan-cha-lay) – cured pig cheeks
- Shiso (SHēsō) – member of the mint family found throughout East Asia
- En brodo (en BROH/doh) – broth, sometimes served on its own
- Ballotine (bal- -teen) – boned piece of thigh meat that is tied and stuffed
Read more about this survey via Food & Wine.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.