This Creamy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe With Beef & Cheese Is an Easy Minnesota "Hotdish" by Heather Holter
When I started cooking around age 15, my stepdad asked for tater tot hotdish, so my sister and I made up our own version. It doesn't use canned soup, and instead has sour cream and cheese. It improves this dinner recipe like magic.
I hope you like this potato casserole as much as my family does. The recipe makes 12 servings. You know what that means? Leftovers!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 bag (2 pounds) tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) cans French-cut green beans, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- Brown the ground beef and onion. Do not drain.
- Stir in flour. Slowly stir in milk. Add green beans (any vegetable can be substituted) and mushrooms, if using. Add sour cream and simmer mixture until slightly thickened.
- Place half the bag of tater tots on the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch pan. Pour meat mixture over tater tots. Put remaining tater tots on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. Remove foil and cover hotdish with the cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.