Shepherd's pie has never been in my recipe arsenal until one of the meals HelloFresh sent me was ... you guessed it ... a shepherd's pie. So good! Here's my take on the recipe. You could substitute sweet potatoes for the russet potatoes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large russet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 - 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet until browned. Add the garlic and cook about a minute more.
- Add the beef stock, flour and peas. Cook until mixture is thick and heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the milk and butter to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well.
- Pour ground beef mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until it's hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve.