Hello, Shepherd's Pie: Where Has This Recipe Been All My Life? by Donna John
Shepherd's pie has never been in my recipe arsenal until one of the meals HelloFresh sent me was ... you guessed it ... a shepherd's pie. So good! Here's my take on the recipe. You could substitute sweet potatoes for the russet potatoes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large russet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 - 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet until browned. Add the garlic and cook about a minute more.
- Add the beef stock, flour and peas. Cook until mixture is thick and heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the milk and butter to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well.
- Pour ground beef mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until it's hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve.