Sun-dried Tomato Meatballs With Tomato Sauce & Mozzarella Are Amazeballs by Donna John
Sun-dried tomatoes pack so much flavor into these moist meatballs. It makes a lot, so freeze some for another time. (Tip: freeze them in muffin tins then pop out and put into a plastic freezer bag.) If you only use half the jar of sun-dried tomatoes for your meatballs, save the other half to use in another recipe or throw them into a spring mix salad or pasta salad.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (I grated 2 slices of bread)
- 1/2 - 1 jar (7.5 ounces) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped (reserve the oil)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
Sun-dried Tomato Sauce
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1 - 2 tablespoons reserved sun-dried tomato oil
- fresh mozzarella cheese balls
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the ground meats, egg, bread crumbs, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Shape into meatballs.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil in a skillet. Cook the meatballs until well browned on all sides. Remove meatballs and drain fat from the pan.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil. Put the meatballs back into the skillet. Simmer on low until meatballs are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Top with the fresh mozzarella and cook until melted, or pop under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Serve over hot pasta or zoodles with additional grated Parmesan cheese.