How to Make Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes in 30 Minutes! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Molten chocolate lava cakes were developed by one of the world’s most famous chefs, Jean-Georges Vongerichten. He says more than a thousand of these cakes are made in his restaurants every day. Here’s my recipe you can make in 30 minutes!
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, plus melted butter for brushing the ramekin
- Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 4 ounces bittersweet (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Here’s how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Brush four 6- to 8-ounce ramekins with melted butter and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the 6 ounces of butter in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, with a hand whisk, whip the eggs with the sugar until creamy about a minute. Add the chocolate mixture while continually stirring. Combine until completely incorporated. Add the flour and salt and mix to combine.
- Divide the batter among the ramekins, filling two-thirds full. Arrange the ramekins on a high-sided baking sheet.
- Bake the cakes in the center of the oven until the tops and sides are set but the centers are still soft, 7-9 minutes. You will notice the centers will still wiggle. Let stand for 30 seconds, then run the tip of a knife around the rims and invert the cakes onto serving plates. Remove the ramekin just before serving. Waiting will help the cake hold its shape.
- Dust with cocoa powder or powdered sugar and serve with vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream! Makes 4 cakes.