Zuppa Toscana: How to Make This Classic Soup Better Than That Italian Place by Donna John
This rustic Zuppa Toscana recipe is warm, satisfying and easy to make. You can still eat all the salad and breadsticks you want – at home!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Here's how you make it:
- Crumble the sausage and cook in a large soup pot until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion to the sausage drippings and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1 more minute, stirring.
- Add the white wine and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove all the brown bits.
- Add the potato, kale, chicken broth, water and cooked sausage to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.