Family New Year's Resolutions: 7 Relatively Painless Ideas Everyone Will Love! by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
Looking for new family rituals? Here are seven ideas for winning family resolutions that are relatively painless, and good for everyone!
- Eat together. Set aside a family meal each week and involve everyone in the preparation.
- Sweat together. Plan an exercise outing each week, even if it’s just a game of tag in your backyard.
- Celebrate achievements. Hang a brag board to post good grades, awards, promotions and other accomplishments for everyone to see.
- Capture memories. Keep a jar with index cards to jot down favorite memories throughout the year, and read them out loud on New Year’s Eve. Then use the cards to make a scrapbook.
- Group unplug. Plan a monthly electronic-free game night and break out the popcorn.
- Family flu shots. Roll up your sleeves together to show reluctant kids that vaccinations are for everyone, and celebrate with ice cream cones for everyone.
- Emergency preparedness. Plan a surprise drill each month to practice how to respond to different emergencies.
Resolutions don’t have to be grueling. In fact, they can be an excuse to spend more family time together. Think creatively this year and make your family resolutions count!