10 Awesome U.S. Road Trips to Beat All Road Trips by 30Seconds Travel
Whether you’re a thrill-seeking adrenaline junkie who can’t wait to raft down dangerous rapids, a music lover searching for the home of the blues or a sun-hunter looking to soak up the rays on some of America’s most picturesque beaches, there’s a U.S. road trip for everyone. The question is, which is right for you?
To help you find your perfect road trip, GoCompare has gathered information on everything prospective road–trippers need to know – from the cost of van hire, fuel, food and accommodation for the recommended duration of the trip, to distance travelled, average temperature and even currency conversion rates. Ready to fuel your wanderlust? Here are two and be sure to check out the other eight road trips!
Route 66: The classic American road trip across America’s ‘Mother Road’ will take you from east to west covering some of the best cities in the U.S. Beginning in Chicago and ending at Santa Monica Pier, this trip is ideal for explorers who crave a true taste of America, taking in plenty of popular sites on the way. Some key stopping points include:
- St. Louis, Missouri – Be sure to stop off at the Missouri Botanical Gardens, City Garden and the famous Gateway Arch. If you have time and you fancy a thrill there's also the option to spend a day at Six Flags St. Louis.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico – Stop at Midpoint café, marking the midpoint of your Route 66 journey, on the way and then head into the city to enjoy the colorful hot air balloons above.
- The Grand Canyon – A staple for any bucket list, explore the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon before heading on to Las Vegas via the Hoover Dam.
- Las Vegas, Nevada – Set aside a few days for gambling, partying and even taking in a show or two in Sin City.
- Los Angeles, California – End the trip in the land of the stars, Los Angeles. Santa Monica Pier is the end of Route 66, providing the perfect opportunity to relax on the Baywatch style beaches before going on to discover the City of Angels.
Costing $4,269.76 and lasting a recommended 29 days, this is the second longest of any U.S. road trip on our list and covers seven states. The length of the trip increases the overall cost as the prices of hotels, van hire and food rack up. As a result, accommodation alone will cost $1,736.37 for this epic cross-state adventure.
The Pan-American Highway: The daddy of all-American road trips, the Pan-American Highway spans an impressive 48,000km and takes 281 days to complete. The world’s longest driving route takes you from the Arctic to the Antarctic with a short break in the road at the rainforest area of the Darién Gap. Some key stopping points include:
- Vancouver – One of Canada's most densely populated and ethnically diverse cities, Vancouver has lots to explore for those interested in arts, science and culture. From Stanley Park, to the Lion's Gate Bridge, Vancouver is worth dedicating a few days to.
- Darien Gap, Panama – The only part of the expansive road trip you can't drive through. Yaviza offers access to the province, however, scenes of habitat destruction are evident. There are a number of issues in the region that make exploration not for everyone, however for travelers looking for a challenge the waterways and hiking trails offer an enticing adventure.
- Lima, Peru – The Peruvian capital is the oldest civilization in America. The city offers museums, archaeological sites, beaches, nature reserves, nightlife and more to uncover.
- Santiago, Chile – One of the final stops on this epic journey, the capital of Chile offers the buzz of a metropolitan city with stunningly picturesque views across the Andes. Activities here include taking in museums, admiring grand architecture and exploring the pedestrian malls.
A road trip not for the faint of heart, the Pan-American Highway will cost you a whopping $38,815.63 but promises to be an unforgettable trip of a lifetime. Taking a recommended 281 days to complete with 248 driving days, this is a trip for the dedicated traveler.
Check out the rest of the top 10 best U.S. road trips! Which one is your favorite?
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.