How to Choose a Pediatrician: Questions Pregnant Moms Need to Ask Before Baby Arrives by Rachael Daniels CPNP-PC, CLC
For many couples caring for a newborn baby can be scary, so it is important to have someone you trust guiding you along the way. Here are some important questions to ask when choosing your new baby's pediatrician (if you choose well, they will be in your life for 21 years!). Hint: make sure the office takes your insurance plan before scheduling your prenatal visit.
- What should I expect during the first visit? (The first visit is usually scheduled when Baby is 3 to 5 days old.)
- Do you support breastfeeding and is there a lactation specialist in the office?
- Do you follow the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines on the most up-to-date practices in pediatric care?
- How late is the clinic open and is there a doctor or nurse practitioner (NP) on call after hours?
- Are there Saturday hours in case I need to bring my baby in on the weekend?
- Are there separate sick and well waiting areas?
- What does the vaccine schedule look like? Will you be following the CDC vaccination guidelines or do you have an office policy that guides the schedule?
- Will my baby have the same provider or does it change a lot?
- How long will you allow for my baby's appointments?
Be sure to write down any additional questions you want to ask.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.