Sprouting Seeds at Home: 10 Creative Ways to Sprout Seeds for Your Spring & Summer Gardens by Donna John
It's time to start sprouting those vegetable, flower and herb seeds. If you don't want to spend the money for a seed starting kit or are confused about the best way to sprout seeds, here are 10 creative ways to do it – and some won't cost a dime.
1. Plastic Cups: When you plant seeds in plastic cups, you can see how the root system is developing. To remove the seedling, simply cut the side of the cup and gently remove.
2. Cardboard Boxes: We all get those cardboard boxes from Amazon, so instead of tossing them, fill them with dirt and sprout some seeds or use to hold the plastic cups.
3. Nursery Trays: When you purchase plants at the nursery, save the trays. They were made for holding plants, so your seeds will be right at home.
4. Egg Cartons and Egg Shells: Egg shells are the perfect seed starter because you can plant the entire thing in the ground, and it will break down and act as a fertilizer. And what better to hold the egg shells than the egg carton?
5. Paper Bowls: Those disposable paper bowls can hold quite a few seeds and can be cut to gently remove the seeds.
6. Plastic Soda Bottles: Here's a fun way to recycle those plastic soda bottles! Cut out an opening, fill with dirt and plant those seeds.
7. Plastic Produce Containers: After you've eaten those blueberries or strawberries, fill the plastic container with dirt and it becomes a cute seed starter container.
8. Plastic Milk Containers: Cut the side out of plastic milk jugs and use for seeds and plants.
9. Biodegradable Seed Starter Pots: Inexpensive, these pots are easy to use because you can plant the entire thing in the ground without having to remove the seedling.
10. Toilet Paper Tubes: Empty toilet paper rolls can easily be transformed into DIY biodegradable seed starter pots.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Biodegradable Seed Starter Pots $8 & Up
Seed Starting Kits $10 & Up
Seed Starter Soil $10 & Up
Vegetable Seeds $4 & Up
Flower Seeds $4 & Up
Herb Seeds $4 & Up
Plant Fertilizer $5 & Up
Seed Markers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.