Does Your Child Get Angry Easily & Lash Out? Try This 1-2-3 Approach! by Kelli Schulte
All emotions are good. They give clues to navigate life. Even anger. So how do you help kids who anger easily? Teach them to:
- Identify the emotion with words. I feel angry. I am getting mad.
- Recognize their pattern of anger. When _____ , I feel angry.
- Navigate the emotion by creating a strategy.
Here's how you can help!
- Encourage your kids to stop and say, “I feel angry right now. I need to take a pause.”
- Help your kids to have pre-set activities they can do when they feel angry. Raising Humans, a parenting podcast, offers some great ideas!
- Encourage your kids to come back from their pause and share their feelings, thoughts, and a well thought out response.
The more our kids learn to name their feelings and navigate them to a desirable result, the better we prepare them to navigate life.