Do You Want to Encourage Change in Others? Try These 3 Things! by Kelli Porcaro
Have you ever noticed HOW you try to influence (or should I say make) someone change their behavior (i.e. kids, spouse, co-workers)? Most people will try to use one of three things.
- Facts: If you don’t clean your room dust mites will get in the carpet.
- Force: Clean your room now or else!
- Fear: The dust mites will crawl all over your face at night.
This typically does not result in long-term change. At the core, when people feel pushed, they resist or push back. To influence change, you need an emotional connection, otherwise known as empathy. But in the heat of the moment it’s hard to empathize! So grab your impulse to pounce and instead:
- Shift your thinking and emotions.
- Suspend judgment.
- Be curious. Seek to understand. What’s obvious? What’s hidden?