Get Work Emails During Family Time? You've Gotta Read This! by Mei Marcie
6 years ago
Add to collection
A study on the effects of after-work email serves as a reminder for us all – if you're a supervisor, don't expect your staff to be "on" all the time. Here's how after-work email may affect us!
- Adds to emotional exhaustion.
- Upsets work-family balance.
- Anticipation of being "pinged" is draining (even if not much work is needed to be done).
- Less ability to detach from work.
- Especially hard for people who prefer to keep job and family life separate.
Efforts to help, such as the French government passing a law this year requiring companies with 50 or more workers to limit after-hours email, are not common. That leaves it to us to help ourselves and our coworkers to have a work-life balance.
Read more about this study here.