Finding Joy This Holiday Season: 13 Ways to Cope With Holiday Loneliness During the Pandemic by Dr. Sanam Hafeez
As the holidays inch closer, many who live alone are anticipating feelings of loneliness and isolation. The coronavirus pandemic has made it exponentially more difficult this year, as loved ones and family members are not advised to travel to be together. While it may be the safest option, it also leaves many spending the holidays alone making it harder to mitigate negative feelings. You aren’t alone, and there are ways to foster joy and feel fulfilled during this time of year.
- Make a plan and build anticipation.
- Simplify your expectations.
- Start a gratitude journal for the holidays.
- Treat yourself.
- Remember what and who you still have.
- Create new traditions.
- Get in touch with your spirituality.
- Create a cozy environment in your home.
- Keep an eye out for socially distanced events. Many local organizations are putting their creativity on full display and coming up with ways to enjoy holiday traditions from a safe distance. For instance, some groups are arranging drive-in movie nights and screening holiday favorites.
- Help out those less fortunate in a way that is safe. Giving back brings fulfillment.
- Enjoy a virtual dinner. Arrange a time for all of your loved ones to sit down for dinner and video chat with each other from their respective homes.
- Don’t romanticize your typical holiday plans. Think of some of the stress and boring office parties you are not obligated to attend.
- Look forward to the future. Vaccines are being rolled out and the holiday season for 2022 will likely look very different.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.