Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids: 6 Quick & Nutritious Snacks Kids Will Love by Susan Bowerman, M.S., R.D., CSSD, CSOWM, FAND
For many parents with school-age children, back to school has morphed from an in-person experience to a virtual one, and when kids are at home, “I’m hungry!” becomes a common phrase. Children can sometimes mistake boredom for hunger, and they may not crave the snacks that provide the nutrition they need. So, it can be challenging to come up with healthy snacks that kids would enjoy. Here are some snack ideas that your kids – and you! – will love:
- Smoothies: A lot of kids fall short when it comes to meeting their calcium needs, and many don’t eat enough fruit, so smoothies can help fill both gaps. They’re quick and easy to make, and kids love to make their own. If you’ve got low-fat milk, protein powder and some frozen fruit or bananas at hand, your kids can take it from there.
- Carrots and Hummus: Kids and vegetables often don’t mix, but sweet, crunchy, raw carrots are an exception. Carrots are rich in beta carotene to help support healthy-looking skin and eyesight, and they’re also a good source of fiber. Add some protein-rich hummus and they’ll be getting a healthy, balanced snack.
- Turkey Sticks: Wrap a slice of turkey around a stick of string cheese for a fun-to-eat snack loaded with protein and calcium.
- Half a Sandwich on Whole-Grain Bread: It’s a rare kid who won’t eat sandwiches, so why not offer half a sandwich for a snack? For kids who are old enough to make their own, lay out all the ingredients – and include some cut veggies like cucumber slices or tomato – and let them make their own. Kids are more likely to eat vegetables when they’ve put them into their own creations.
- Frozen Protein Pops: Make your favorite smoothie with milk, protein powder and fruit, and pour into ice pop molds. Kids love getting creative in making these protein and calcium-rich treats.
- Don’t Forget the Water: Kids also need to stay well hydrated, too. Plain water is great, but a small amount of flavor may actually encourage your kids to drink more. Make it interesting by adding chunks of fruit to amp up the taste.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Ice Pop Molds $6 & Up
Smoothie Blenders $15 & Up
Sandwich Makers $15 & Up
Snack Containers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.