Sleep, Stress & Coronavirus (COVID-19): 3 Easy Steps to Enhance Your Sleep Starting Tonight by Dr. Ehsan Jazini
Feeling stressed and out of control? That’s how many of us have been feeling throughout this coronavirus pandemic. So how do we combat the feeling that the world is falling apart around us? It's time to focus on the things we can control – especially the health and lifestyle choices we make. There’s not one cure to all that’s wrong in the world, but if there were, good sleep would be at the top of the list. Sleep helps combat stress and helps protect us physically.
Our bodies are just not built to sustain chronic stress – the effects can start to snowball into physical pain. Stress can change our breathing patterns, causing strain and tension in the back. And the scope of those affected is overwhelming – up to 80 percent of Americans will experience back pain at some point in their lives.
How can we ensure we get good sleep and protect ourselves from the aches and pains of stress? Restorative sleep is achievable. Here's why you should start making positive changes to enhance sleep:
1. Why Sleep Should Be a Priority Right Now
- Sleep supports the immune system, which can reduce the risk of infection.
- There is a well-documented relationship between sleep deprivation and weight gain.
- Sleep aids in our brain function by repairing and regenerating cells, and detoxifying – good sleep is our body’s life support!
2. Set Yourself Up for Success
- Set a schedule/routine for sleep and stick to it.
- Put your device away at least 30 minutes before you try to sleep.
3. Protecting Your Back While Sleeping
- Have a balanced and relaxed posture.
- Use a pillow that keeps your neck in a comfortable position.
- Make sure your mattress is comfortable for you, and your spine is aligned.
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.